Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Who is the Grinch Anyway?

Each day this week, I have picked a Christmas book to read aloud to my first graders.  After reading the book we follow with an activity correlated to language arts.
Today I read that old classic How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.
Each child drew their version of the Grinch on a 9x12 piece of green construction paper.
Next I gave each child a set of strips to cut apart.

Character Map Strips

Step by step we placed the strips on "our own" grinch, then wrote a response under each strip. The children loved this activity and were so proud to hang up their details about this Grinch. It was a fun way to explore a main character of a book.

Here is a picture of an example:



1 comment:

  1. Looks cool.

    Here is another way to spend the holidays I found pretty interesting for kids:

    go to http://flinklearning.com/Flinkstr and download their software, it'll be an interesting experience for kids.

    ReplyDelete